What we do.
We support Young Carers by providing a safe place for them to share, relax and have fun.
Our Exploration Programme empowers individuals with the skills and confidence to manage the challenges faced by being a young carer.
The Exploration Programme takes place on Wednesday’s during term time.
- Meet and get to know other young carers.
- Understand the illness / disability of the person you care for.
- Explore the different types of caring roles.
- Recognise the impacts caring can have on you.
- Share any worries and/or concerns you may have.
- Learn how to deal with feelings.
- Create your own wellness toolbox.
- Identify your own support network.
- Reflect on what you have learnt.
- Share your hopes for the future.
Our Activities Programme gives individuals time out to relax, have fun and meet others who are in a similar situation to themselves.
Our Befriending Programme gives individuals the chance to have some 1:1 time with a volunteer who can work with them on increasing their self-esteem and confidence as well as building on their existing life skills.
Our Wellness Programme empowers parents to keep themselves well so they can deal with lifes challenges.
The Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) is a two day experience that runs three times a year. It covers the following topics:
- Wellness Tools
- Recovery Key Concepts
- Daily Maintenance Plan
- Triggers & Action Plan
- Early Warning Signs & Action Plan
- Breaking Down & Action Plan
- Crisis Plan
- Post Crisis Plan
My daughter is without doubt benefiting from the exploration programme. She has been doing at school over the last few weeks and we have noticed she has more patience with her sisters demands. All of the above is no coincidence I am sure...
School Lead, The Westgate School
It is essential for young carers to have extra support in school. The drop in helps them understand they are not alone and they can share experiences. For the pupils they know where to go to get support. For me, the teacher, having a window into their complex llives helps me understand and be able to support them.
The activities give me the chance to relax and have fun with my friends.
The exploration programme has given me time to find out about my mums disability.